The Lindner family dedicated itself to making Carl Sr.'s idea a reality. Over the next two years, Richard and his father sought and purchased used dairy production equipment which they rebuilt and installed at 3955 Main Avenue (now Montgomery Road) in Norwood. Carl Jr. ran a milk route and Robert delivered eggs and poultry throughout Norwood. Together the family fashioned cabinets and signs for the new store, which they would call United Dairy Farmers in recognition of their valued milk suppliers.
Finally on May 8, 1940, the little dairy plant and the 20- by 50-foot store adjacent to it opened. United Dairy Farmers' cash-and-carry retail operation was a first, as was the availability of milk in gallon and half-gallon bottles (home-delivered milk was bottled exclusively in quarts). Moreover the company-owned store had most unusual hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week.
What housewives found most appealing about the new United Dairy Farmers store was the price of its milk. At 28 cents per gallon, they could save up to 24 cents of the cost of home-delivered milk. Other high-quality dairy products, butter, cottage cheese, eggs and buttermilk, were also available at low prices. First day receipts totalled a respectable $8.